Milking the Cow


Babe and I are up before dawn each morning. We have quite a routine. I sing and milk as she chews on her alfalfa. She lets me know if I stop singing. She will chime in with a soft 'moo' to get me started again. :-) I'm sure she's the only one that appreciates my early morning attempts to make a melody.
I finally now have a milking machine. It took a couple of days and a good friend to help me get the gliches out. So now we have a new routine. The pulsator on the milking machine gets the 'rhythm' going and I sing....only louder now. I love the milking machine. What took me 30 min. to milk now takes only 10 min.!
We have been selling alot of milk from the farm. But, what we don't sell, we make dairy products with. We made icecream the other day. mmmm...nothing like it! Here is our recipe:
2 1/2 C. Sugar
1/4 C. plus 2 T. Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
5 C. Milk
4 Eggs, beaten
4 C. Cream
2 T. Vanilla Extract
Combine sugar, flour and salt in saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly.
Gradually stir about 1 C. hot mixture into the beaten eggs. Add the remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook 1 min. Remove from heat. Refrigerate 2 hours. Combine Cream and vanilla in large bowl: add chilled mixture stirring with wire whisk to combine. Freeze as directd. Makes 4 Qt.
Delicious!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fire Cider

The Home Apothecary

Winter Health